Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hot Potatoes

I really enjoyed the Hot Potatoes website. My only regret is that I didn't look at the link earlier. The fact that the program is so easy to use is what makes me want to use it most. I like that I can customize quizzes and exercises. I've been looking for this type of material on the internet but being able to create my own is what I really look forward to. I admit that I would like it more if it looked a little more professional, but a lot websites that I found using similar exercises aren't any more sophisticated.

I am least confident about using Hot Potatoes with Dreamweaver. Fortunately a couple of my classmates helped me to publish the urls. Even still, I had a lot of difficuly pulling them up. I even thought they didn't publish and tried to make a couple quizzes to post (which didn't work). When I use it in the future, I will likely post it to a website or wiki that I already have established and am familiar with. I am most confident about making the exercises/quizzes because the website makes it so easy to use.

Hot Potatoes is something I will definitely use when developing a lesson plan for the class that I observed. I've seen the teacher use similar types of exercises in class but she pulled questions from a pre-made quiz of the internet. I think that she would love to be able to make her own quizzes based on what the class is learning at the time. I can't wait to show her this site. I also do private tutoring and I set-up a website on Wetpaint that we've been using. I am interested to see if I can get Hot Potatoes to work with Wetpaint. If not, I'll try with Wikispaces to see if I have better success. Both the class that I observed and my tutees are at a beginning level so I think they can really benefit from this type of practice apart from what we do during our lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment